Flensburg är den tredje största staden i den tyska delstaten Schleswig-Holstein, efter Kiel och Lübeck. Staden har 83 462 invånare.
In May 1945 Flensburg was the site of the last government of Nazi Germany, the so-called Flensburg government led by Karl Dönitz, which was in power from 1 May (Hitler’s death) for one week until German armies surrendered and the town was occupied by Allied troops. The regime was officially dissolved on 23 May.
The nearest larger towns are Kiel (86 kilometres (53 miles) south) and Odense in Denmark (92 km (57 mi) northeast). Flensburg’s city centre lies about 7 km (4 mi) from the Danish border.
In Germany, Flensburg is known for
- the nationwide database of traffic violators (Kraftfahrt-Bundesamt), also called Verkehrssünderkartei (“traffic sinner card file”)
- its beer Flensburger Pilsener, also called “Flens“
- the centre of the Danish national minority in Germany
- the greeting Moin Moin
- the large erotic mail-order companies Beate Uhse and Orion
- its handball team SG Flensburg-Handewitt
- the Naval Academy at Mürwik with its sail training ship Gorch Fock