Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele

ludwigsburgerschlossfestspiele
Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele

Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele

Chronicle

  • 2015

  • Pietari Inkinen becomes new chief conductor of the Orchestra of Ludwigsburg Festival.
  • 2014

  • Last concert of the Choir of Ludwigsburg Festival in Wolfegg. Thomas Wördehoff starts his second term as artistic director.
  • 2013

  • The Orchestra of Ludwigsburg Festival and Igor Levit celebrate the 80th Birthday of Wolfgang Gönnenwein and the 25th jubilee of Forum am Schlosspark.
  • 2012

  • The Ludwigsburg Festival celebrates its 80-year-anniversary along with the 40th anniversary of the Orchestra of the Ludwigsburg Festival.
  • 2010

  • New interpretations and the look ahead into the unknown are the centre of the festival under the motto »Das Fest der Interpreten«. The new concert series »Song Conversation« is realised for the first time with Brad Mehldau, Bill Frisell and Joe Henry. The commissioned works »Der Traum vom Sein« by Wolfgang Mitterer, the »Mahlerlieder« of Musicbanda Franui and the project »Caged Funk: John Cage – Looped, Hijacked, Detourned & Scratch Mixed« by Marc Ribot were premiered in 2010. The choreography »Babel« by Sidi Larbi Cherkaoui and Damien Jalet celebrated its German premiere in Ludwigsburg. New cooperation partners this year were, among others, the Thalia Theater Hamburg (»Richard II. – Solo eines Königs«), the Film- und Medien Festival gGmbH (Film Music-Gala in honour of Irmin Schmidt) and the Vienna Concert House (»Mahlerlieder«).
  • 2009

  • Since October 1st artistic director Thomas Wördehoff and his representative Uwe Schmitz-Gielsdorf (till 09/2013) have directed the Ludwigsburg Festival.
  • 2008

  • With the first spring festival in April, the re-structuring of the annual festival schedule is realised, with three main performance times.
    Thomas Wördehoff is appointed as artistic director starting 2010.
  • 2007

  • 75 years of the Ludwigsburg Festival.
    Henceforth there will not only be summer festivals, but a longer festival weekend in the fall and spring (starting 2008).
  • 2006

  • The Festival Ensemble under its new chief conductor, Michael Hofstetter, achieves Europe-wide fame through appearances in the ZDF classical-show »Eine große Nachtmusik« and guest performances at the renowned Schubertiade in Schwarzenberg and at the Salzburg Festival (choir).
  • 2005

  • Prof. Dr. Wulf Konold takes over the artistic direction of the Ludwigsburg Festival.
    The new chief conductor of the choir and orchestra is Michael Hofstetter.
  • 2004

  • Last season for Wolfgang Gönnenwein, artistic director of the Ludwigsburg Festival since 1972.
  • 2000

  • Anniversary 20 years of »Landesfestspiele / Internationale Festspiele Baden-Württemberg«. External performance sites are: Bietigheim, Haigerloch and Bad Imnau, Wertheim and Wolfegg. Along with these are the guest performances at Beuron and the island of Mainau on the Lake Constance.
  • 1999

  • The variety of the Ludwigsburg Festival is further expanded with the world music series »earthTones«.
  • 1998

  • The Schlosstheater – Europe’s oldest preserved Palace Theatre – is re-opened after five years of restoration, with the re-start of Mozart’s »Die Zauberflöte« (Director: Axel Manthey).
  • h. 1997
  • Anniversary 65 Years of the Fesitval, 25 of them under the direction of Wolfgang Gönnenwein.
    »performDance«, the modern dance theatre series is introduced into the programme of the Ludwigsburg Festival.
  • 1996

  • The series »Ludwigsburger Debüt«, dedicated to the introduction of new talent, is expanded with the concert »Klassik Stern« in which young artists present themselves along ide the Ludwigsburg Festival Orchestra.
  • 1995

  • First Classik Open Air in front of the lakeside palace Monrepos.
    The Karlskaserne is added as a new performance location for dance and world music.
  • 1993

  • Beginning of the restoration and consequent closure of the Palace Theatre.
  • 1988

  • Festival season starts in the newly-constructed Forum am Schlosspark.
  • 1986

  • The Festival Ensemble opens the Schleswig-Holstein-Music-Festival on June 29th.
  • 1984

  • Start of the series »Mozart aus dem Ludwigsburger Schloss«. Start of construction of the Forum am Schlosspark, a modern cultural centre and future festival theatre.
    The first concerts are held at the external performance site Wolfegg.
  • 1982

  • Anniversary 50 Years of the Ludwigsburg Festival. First independent dramatic production (Thomas Bernhard: »Über allen Gipfeln ist Ruh«) and first live television broadcast of an opera production from the Ludwigsburg Festival (W. A. Mozart: »Titus« / Guest performance in Baden-Baden).
  • 1980

  • Expansion into »Internationale Festspiele Baden-Württemberg« and to status as official state festival. The first locations outside of Ludwigsburg are e.g. Bietigheim and Haigerloch. Since the 1980’s, the Festival Ensemble goes on world-wide tours regularly, inter alia to South America, the Far East, Israel and South Africa.
  • 1978

  • First independent ballet production (Choreography: Heinz Spoerli).
  • 1976

  • The first guest performances abroad and first studio recordings by the Ludwigsburg Festival Ensemble.
  • 1973

  • The Friedenskirche (lit. »Peace Church«) of Ludwigsburg becomes the first location for the Ludwigsburg Festival outside of the Palace. Until the Forum am Schlosspark is completed, it is the largest concert hall of the festival.
  • 1972

  • In his first season as artistic director of the Ludwigsburg Festival, Wolfgang Gönnenwein founds his own festival ensemble (Orchestra and South German Madrigal Choir of Stuttgart). First original opera production in the Ludwigsburg Palace Theatre (W. A. Mozart: »The Magic Flute«, Director: Ernst Poettgen) and first matinee podium for young artists in the framework of the festival.
  • 1971

  • Festival founder Wilhelm Krämer dies on December 8th, soon after he handed over the artistic direction to Wolfgang Gönnenwein.
  • 1968

  • 250th anniversary of the city of Ludwigsburg. On this occasion several additional concerts are held in the framework of the Ludwigsburg Festival.
  • 1966

  • In 1966 the term »Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele« (»Ludwigsburg Festival«) is established. With around 12,000 visitors from all over Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland and the Netherlands, all concerts sell out.
  • 1962

  • On July 18th, Wolfgang Gönnenwein directs at the festival for the first time.
  • 1954

  • Under the patronage of the German President and Member of the Board of Curators, Theodor Heuss, the 3rd German Mozartfest of the German Mozart Society is held in the framework of the Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts. (The first opera performed in the newly renovated Palace Theatre: »Titus« by W. A. Mozart, a guest performance by the Württemberg State Theatre). The Mozartfest adds to the national significance of the Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts.
  • 1952

  • The »Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts« that have, until now, been distributed over the entire year, are bundled together into a week-long festival under the name »Ludwigsburger Schlosstage« (»Ludwigsburg Palace Days«).
  • 1947

  • The first post-war concert series takes place under the title »Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts/Mozart Series 1947«, with 34 concerts. This large number of concerts is first exceeded again in 1978.
  • 1946

  • The first »Ludwigsburg Palace Concert« after the war takes place on October 20th.
  • 1939

  • On July 23rd, the last event of the Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts prior to the beginning of the Second World War occurs. Restoration of the Ordenssaal and the Schlosskirche.
  • 1933 – 1939

  • Six to ten concerts per year in the palace in the Ordenssaal, in the Ordenskappelle, Schlosskirche and in the Inner Courtyard.
  • 1932

  • Wilhelm Krämer founds the »Ludwigsburger Schlosskonzerte« (»Ludwigsburg Palace Concerts«).
  • 1931

  • Wilhelm Krämer founds the »Mozartgemeinde« of Ludwigsburg.
  • 1922

  • The Palace Theatre is site of performance for the first time since 1853 with G. F. Händel‘s »Rodelinde« (guest performance by the Württemberg State Theatre in the framework of a meeting for preservation of public monuments and national heritage at the Ludwigsburg Palace).
  • 1918

  • After the First World War, the palace of Ludwigsburg – Germany’s largest Baroque palace and grounds – was opened to the public.

Länk till Ludwigsburger Schlossfestspiele

Related posts