Teatro Rossini – Lugo – Italien
The local chronicles attest that during the first half of the 17th century in Lugo many performances took place which suggests established lengthy season. These performances were staged with temporary facilities in a part of the fairgrounds and in the 16th century loggia.
During the 16th and 17th centuries there is no evidence of theatrical activities, however traditional culture flourished leading to the construction of a permanent theatre. It was by design that the location was chosen at the edge of the commercial area and facing the fairgrounds.
From 1757-60 the main parts were built, following the design of Ambrogio Petrocchi: starting in 1760, work on the interior as well as the stage, seating and balconies were completed by Antonio Galli Bibiena.
The theatre, named Rossini in 1859, still sports its 18th century style, with an austere facade incorporating ornamental pillars and plaster string courses at each storey. On the interior the hall is distinguished by four rows of balconies and a gallery. The stage and audience area occupy equal space.
The 1984-1986 restoration has aimed at bringing the interior back to its original state, obliterating the modifications carried out during the 19th century: in this way the splendid decorations and stuccos have been brought to light, and above all, beneath the surface strata interesting frescos on the interiors of the first three rows of balconies have been uncovered, dating to the intervention of Leandro Marconi in 1819, who modified the structure of the balconies, disposing in a different way the proscenium and adding the gallery.
It is decorated in bright, floral colours on a grey-blue background. The theatre of Lugo is one of the most interesting theatres “all’italiana” of Emilia-Romagna, and its design has notable tangential points with the Communal Theatre of Bologna, also a work of Galli Bibiena.