Zürich – opernhaus



Zürich Opernhaus

Zürich Opernhaus

Det nuvarande operahuset (1200 platser), som under namnet  Züricher Stadttheater också var talscen fram till 1921, öppnades 1891. Där uruppfördes Busonis Turandot (1917), Bergs Lulu (1937) i tvåaktsversionen och Hindemiths Mathis der Maler (1938).

Lisa della Casa tillhörde ensemblen 1943-50 varefter hon inledde sin utlandskarriär.

På 1970-talet tilldrog sig Zürich internationell uppmärksamhet med sin Monteverdi-cykel iscensatt av Jean-Pierre Ponnelle och dirigerad av Nikolaus Harnoncourt, som tio år senare fortsatte med sin Mozartcykel. Operahuset moderniserades 1984.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Zürich Opera House (German: Opernhaus Zürich) is an opera house in the Swiss city of Zürich. Located at the Sechseläutenplatz, it has been the home of the Zürich Opera since 1891, and also houses the Bernhard-Theater Zürich.


The first permanent theatre, the Aktientheater, was built in 1834 and it became the focus of Richard Wagner’s activities during his period of exile from Germany.

The Aktientheater burnt down in 1890. The new Stadttheater Zürich (municipal theatre) was built by the Viennese architects Ferdinand Fellner and Hermann Helmer, who changed their previous design for the theatre in Wiesbaden only slightly. It was opened in 1891.  It was the city’s main performance space for drama, opera, and musical events until 1925, when it was renamed Opernhaus Zürich and a separate theatre for plays was built: The Bernhard Theater opened in 1941, in May 1981 the Esplanada building was demolished, and the present adjoint building opened on 27/28 December 1984 after three years of transition in the Kaufhaus building nearby Schanzengraben.

By the 1970s, the opera house was badly in need of major renovations; when some considered it not worth restoring, a new theatre was proposed for the site. However, between 1982 and 1984, rebuilding took place but not without huge local opposition which was expressed in street riots.[citation needed] The rebuilt theatre was inaugurated with Wagner’s Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg and the world première of Rudolf Kelterborn’s Chekhov opera Der Kirschgarten.

As restored, the theatre is an ornate building with a neo-classical façade of white and grey stone adorned with busts of Weber, Wagner, and Mozart. Additionally, busts of Schiller, Shakespeare, and Goethe are to be found. The auditorium is built in the neo-rococo style and seats approximately 1200 people. During the refurbishment, the issue of sightlines was not adequately addressed. As a result, the theatre has a high number of seats with a limited view, or no view, of the stage. This is unusual in international comparison, where sightlines in historic opera houses have been typically enhanced over time.[citation needed]

Corporate archives and historical library collections are held at the music department of the Predigerkirche Zürich.

Youth protests of 1980

In response to the combination of high subsidies for the Opera and the lack of cultural programs for the youth in Zürich, large protests were held in May 1980. The protests became known as the Opernhauskrawalle youth protests – Züri brännt,  meaning Zürich is burning, as documented in the 1981 Swiss documentary film of the same name.


Wikipedia about Zürich Opernhaus

Wikipedia about Zürich Opera

Zürich Opera Turist Information

Related posts